Employment issues have become increasingly important and sensitive in Indonesia in recent years. Important changes to Indonesia laws on employment, industrial relations and trade unions have been introduced, including restrictions on outsourcing and manpower supply.
We advise many multinational companies on manpower and industrial relations issues arising from their operations. This includes assistance with respect to termination and redundancy, service agreements and labour unions. Significant employment issues and rights can also arise in the context of mergers and acquisitions. We also advise clients with the procedures for and issues relating to employing expatriates.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung provides the full range of employment advice to its existing corporate clients and is noted for its experience on collective labour agreements.
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung has a strong pedigree in advising international clients on local labour issues, including termination and redundancy, M&A, service agreements and union matters.
Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2011
- Newcrest Mining Limited: assisting in an Employment Audit carried out by the Local Manpower Office.
- Navigat Energy: advising Navigat on setting up an Employee Cash Incentive Scheme.
- Weatherford International Inc: assisting Weatherford on employment dispute at the industrial court.
- New Zealand Embassy: assisting New Zealand Embassy on employment issues, staffs restructuring and employment termination.
- Marsh Indonesia: assisting Marsh Indonesia on employment issue in relation to transfer of shares.
- Rio Tinto Indonesia: assisting Rio Tinto Indonesia on various employment matters, employee structure and working permits to new expatriates in relation to the opening of its new business operation in Indonesia.
- Marsh & McLennan Asia Pacific: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on the industrial relationship dispute between Marsh and its foreign employees.
- Tigaberlian Auto Finance, an Indonesian subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation: acting as legal counsel on the employment termination of hundreds of employees of Tigaberlian Auto Finance as result of the restructuring of business and the closure of Tigaberlian Auto Finance.
- ANZ Panin: assisting ANZ Panin on outsourcing issues.
- Marathon Oil: assisting Marathon Oil on the industrial relationship dispute at the mediation level.
- Rig Tenders Indonesia: assisting Rig Tenders Indonesia on the outsourcing issues.
- Heinz ABC Indonesia: assisting Heinz ABC Indonesia in relation to its various employment issues.
- The bankruptcy trustees of NV De Indonesische Overzeese Bank (Indover Bank): assisting in negotiations with as well as the termination of employees working in the representative office of Indover Bank in Jakarta.
- Hutchison International Port Holdings: acting as Indonesia legal counsel on Indonesian employment/labour law issues relevant to the privatisation of the Jakarta international container port, including on work stoppage/strike issues and negotiations with employee unions and on transfer of employment status.
- Kaltim Prima Coal: handling the employment issues arising from the sale by BP and Rio Tinto of their interest.
- IKEA: assisting IKEA in relation to manpower issues arising from restructuring of Indonesian presence.
- Novartis and Zeneca: assisting Syngenta Indonesia in relation to the employment matters as the result of its merger.
- Petrokimia Nusantara Interindo (a joint venture between BP, Sumitomo and Mitsui): handling the employment matters as the result of the change of ownership in the company.
- BHP Billiton: assisting in the formation of the standardised Indonesian employment agreements.
- BP: assisting BP in relation to employment law issues arising from disposition of interests in Indonesian oil & gas production sharing contracts.
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers Consulting: on Indonesian employment law issues arising from its de-merger from PWC.
- DBS Vickers Securities Indonesia: on the employment matters including issues in the JAMSOSTEK program.
- Hewlett Packard Berca Servicindo: in relation to a potential employment dispute and mediation process at the Manpower Office.